Green & Yellow Beans with Wild Mushrooms
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Simply prepared green and yellow beans with wild mushrooms are easy holiday fare.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 pound yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces wild mushrooms, such as chanterelle, oyster or porcini, trimmed and sliced (see Substitution Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and wax beans and cook until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes. (Cook for another minute or two if you like your green beans more tender.) Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the mushrooms for garnish. Add the cooked beans to the mushrooms in the pan and cook, stirring to combine, until heated through, 1 to 3 minutes. Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Serve topped with the reserved mushrooms.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and store in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
- Substitution Note: If you can't find wild mushrooms, use button or cremini mushrooms.
Per serving: 75 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 272 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetables, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2007