Green & Yellow Beans with Wild Mushrooms
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
Simply prepared green and yellow beans with wild mushrooms are easy holiday fare.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 pound yellow wax beans, trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces wild mushrooms, such as chanterelle, oyster or porcini, trimmed and sliced (see Substitution Note)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add green beans and wax beans and cook until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes. (Cook for another minute or two if you like your green beans more tender.) Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon of the mushrooms for garnish. Add the cooked beans to the mushrooms in the pan and cook, stirring to combine, until heated through, 1 to 3 minutes. Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Serve topped with the reserved mushrooms.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 and store in an airtight container for up to 1 day.
- Substitution Note: If you can't find wild mushrooms, use button or cremini mushrooms.
Per serving: 75 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 59 mg sodium; 272 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetables, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2007