Green Tea-Poached Pears with Matcha Cream
From EatingWell: Winter 2003
Green tea, delicately flavored with ginger and almond, makes a delightful poaching medium for pears.
- 1/4 cup Matcha Cream, (recipe follows)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green tea leaves, preferably sencha
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 firm, ripe Anjou or Bosc pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- Prepare Matcha Cream.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a shallow pan or deep skillet. Stir in tea, turn off heat and let steep, covered, for 5 minutes. Pour through a cheesecloth-lined sieve to remove leaves; return tea to the pan.
- Add sugar, ginger and almond extract and bring just to a boil. Add pears, cut-side up, and poach over low heat until quite tender when pierced with a wooden skewer. Transfer to a bowl and let the pears cool in the poaching liquid.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled. Use a slotted spoon to place two pear halves in each dessert dish. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the poaching liquid over the pears. Serve with a generous dollop of Matcha Cream and garnish with almonds.
Tips & Notes
- To toast almonds:
- Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until the nuts are lightly browned and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
Per serving: 369 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 94 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 7 g fiber; 56 mg sodium; 408 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Winter 2003