Green Tea-Poached Pears with Matcha Cream
From EatingWell: Winter 2003
Green tea, delicately flavored with ginger and almond, makes a delightful poaching medium for pears.
- 1/4 cup Matcha Cream, (recipe follows)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green tea leaves, preferably sencha
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 firm, ripe Anjou or Bosc pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- Prepare Matcha Cream.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a shallow pan or deep skillet. Stir in tea, turn off heat and let steep, covered, for 5 minutes. Pour through a cheesecloth-lined sieve to remove leaves; return tea to the pan.
- Add sugar, ginger and almond extract and bring just to a boil. Add pears, cut-side up, and poach over low heat until quite tender when pierced with a wooden skewer. Transfer to a bowl and let the pears cool in the poaching liquid.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled. Use a slotted spoon to place two pear halves in each dessert dish. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the poaching liquid over the pears. Serve with a generous dollop of Matcha Cream and garnish with almonds.
Tips & Notes
- To toast almonds:
- Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until the nuts are lightly browned and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
Per serving: 369 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 94 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 7 g fiber; 56 mg sodium; 408 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Winter 2003