Green Tea-Poached Pears with Matcha Cream
From EatingWell: Winter 2003
Green tea, delicately flavored with ginger and almond, makes a delightful poaching medium for pears.
- 1/4 cup Matcha Cream, (recipe follows)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons green tea leaves, preferably sencha
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 firm, ripe Anjou or Bosc pears, peeled, halved and cored
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- Prepare Matcha Cream.
- Meanwhile, bring water to a boil in a shallow pan or deep skillet. Stir in tea, turn off heat and let steep, covered, for 5 minutes. Pour through a cheesecloth-lined sieve to remove leaves; return tea to the pan.
- Add sugar, ginger and almond extract and bring just to a boil. Add pears, cut-side up, and poach over low heat until quite tender when pierced with a wooden skewer. Transfer to a bowl and let the pears cool in the poaching liquid.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled. Use a slotted spoon to place two pear halves in each dessert dish. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the poaching liquid over the pears. Serve with a generous dollop of Matcha Cream and garnish with almonds.
Tips & Notes
- To toast almonds:
- Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add nuts and cook, stirring constantly, until the nuts are lightly browned and fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
Per serving: 369 calories; 7 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 23 mg cholesterol; 94 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 7 g fiber; 56 mg sodium; 408 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1/2 low-fat milk, 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Winter 2003