From EatingWell: September/October 2011
Get your daily dose of dark leafy greens any time of day with this delicious green smoothie. Ground flaxseed adds omega-3s. Pour any extra into a freezer-pop mold and have it later as a frozen green smoothie pop.
- 2 ripe medium bananas
- 1 ripe pear or apple, peeled if desired, chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale leaves, tough stems removed (see Notes)
- 1/2 cup cold orange juice
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 12 ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed (see Notes)
- Place bananas, pear (or apple), kale, orange juice, water, ice cubes and flaxseed in a blender. Pulse a few times, then puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Choose organic kale when possible. Nonorganic can have high pesticide residue.
- Look for ground flaxseeds (or flaxmeal) in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets or in natural-foods stores. Store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Per serving: 240 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 55 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 8 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 987 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (210% daily value), Vitamin C (208% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Folate (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Beverages, smoothies
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2011