Green Salad with Strawberries & Goat Cheese
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
This lively salad captures the essence of early summer with ripe strawberries, chives and baby spinach. To make it a meal, top it with grilled chicken breast.
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup , or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups watercress, tough stems removed
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries , (about 12 ounces)
- 1/3 cup fresh chives, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans , (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Whisk maple syrup (or brown sugar), vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add spinach, watercress, strawberries and chives; toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates and top with pecans and goat cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped or sliced nuts, stir constantly in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 215 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2009