Green Salad with Strawberries & Goat Cheese
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
This lively salad captures the essence of early summer with ripe strawberries, chives and baby spinach. To make it a meal, top it with grilled chicken breast.
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup , or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups watercress, tough stems removed
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries , (about 12 ounces)
- 1/3 cup fresh chives, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans , (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Whisk maple syrup (or brown sugar), vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add spinach, watercress, strawberries and chives; toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates and top with pecans and goat cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped or sliced nuts, stir constantly in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 215 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2009