Green Salad with Strawberries & Goat Cheese
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
This lively salad captures the essence of early summer with ripe strawberries, chives and baby spinach. To make it a meal, top it with grilled chicken breast.
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup , or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper , to taste
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups watercress, tough stems removed
- 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries , (about 12 ounces)
- 1/3 cup fresh chives, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans , (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Whisk maple syrup (or brown sugar), vinegar, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add spinach, watercress, strawberries and chives; toss to coat. Divide the salad among 4 plates and top with pecans and goat cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast chopped or sliced nuts, stir constantly in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 215 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 209 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (130% daily value), Vitamin A (60% dv), Folate (20% dv), Magnesium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2009