Simple Green Salad with Citronette
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Frisée and radicchio are both assertive, slightly bitter greens that add color and texture to any salad. Match them with mellower-flavored greens, such as red leaf lettuce, baby spinach or even Boston lettuce.
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups torn peppery and/or bitter greens, such as frisee, watercress, radicchio or arugula
- 8 cups mild greens, such as Boston lettuce, mesclun, baby spinach or baby romaine
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Combine orange juice, lemon juice, oil, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Close the jar and shake until well combined.
- Place greens and onion in a large salad bowl; toss with 1/3 cup of the dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature and shake before using.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 272 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012