Simple Green Salad with Citronette
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Frisée and radicchio are both assertive, slightly bitter greens that add color and texture to any salad. Match them with mellower-flavored greens, such as red leaf lettuce, baby spinach or even Boston lettuce.
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups torn peppery and/or bitter greens, such as frisee, watercress, radicchio or arugula
- 8 cups mild greens, such as Boston lettuce, mesclun, baby spinach or baby romaine
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Combine orange juice, lemon juice, oil, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Close the jar and shake until well combined.
- Place greens and onion in a large salad bowl; toss with 1/3 cup of the dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature and shake before using.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 272 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012