Simple Green Salad with Citronette
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Frisée and radicchio are both assertive, slightly bitter greens that add color and texture to any salad. Match them with mellower-flavored greens, such as red leaf lettuce, baby spinach or even Boston lettuce.
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups torn peppery and/or bitter greens, such as frisee, watercress, radicchio or arugula
- 8 cups mild greens, such as Boston lettuce, mesclun, baby spinach or baby romaine
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Combine orange juice, lemon juice, oil, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Close the jar and shake until well combined.
- Place greens and onion in a large salad bowl; toss with 1/3 cup of the dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature and shake before using.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 272 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- March/April 2012