Simple Green Salad with Citronette
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Frisée and radicchio are both assertive, slightly bitter greens that add color and texture to any salad. Match them with mellower-flavored greens, such as red leaf lettuce, baby spinach or even Boston lettuce.
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups torn peppery and/or bitter greens, such as frisee, watercress, radicchio or arugula
- 8 cups mild greens, such as Boston lettuce, mesclun, baby spinach or baby romaine
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Combine orange juice, lemon juice, oil, shallot, mustard, salt and pepper in a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Close the jar and shake until well combined.
- Place greens and onion in a large salad bowl; toss with 1/3 cup of the dressing.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature and shake before using.
Per serving: 44 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 81 mg sodium; 272 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (63% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012