Green Papaya Salad
This Thai-inspired salad makes use of the papayas that grow throughout Hawaii. This version is tossed with tender, sweet pea shoots. Make an extra batch of the vinaigrette to keep on hand in the refrigerator—use it as a marinade for vegetables, a flavorful dressing for fresh melon or as a sauce to splash over grilled fish or chicken.
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped palm sugar, or packed brown sugar (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Hawaiian chiles, or any fresh hot chiles, minced, to taste
- 3 cups matchstick-cut or julienned green papaya, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced Maui or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup pea shoots, cut into 3-inch pieces, or bean sprouts
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Whisk lime zest, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and chiles in a large bowl.
- Add papaya, onion and pea shoots (or sprouts) to the vinaigrette; toss to combine. Sprinkle with pepper just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The vinaigrette (Step 1) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Tips: Palm sugar is an unrefined sweetener similar in flavor to brown sugar. It's sold in “pods” or as a paste in Asian markets or at importfood.com.
- Green papaya is underripe papaya that is green and firm. Look for it in Asian markets. If you can't find one, a ripe papaya will still taste delicious in this salad.
Per serving: 59 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 403 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique