Green Papaya Salad
This Thai-inspired salad makes use of the papayas that grow throughout Hawaii. This version is tossed with tender, sweet pea shoots. Make an extra batch of the vinaigrette to keep on hand in the refrigerator—use it as a marinade for vegetables, a flavorful dressing for fresh melon or as a sauce to splash over grilled fish or chicken.
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped palm sugar, or packed brown sugar (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Hawaiian chiles, or any fresh hot chiles, minced, to taste
- 3 cups matchstick-cut or julienned green papaya, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced Maui or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup pea shoots, cut into 3-inch pieces, or bean sprouts
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Whisk lime zest, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and chiles in a large bowl.
- Add papaya, onion and pea shoots (or sprouts) to the vinaigrette; toss to combine. Sprinkle with pepper just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The vinaigrette (Step 1) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Tips: Palm sugar is an unrefined sweetener similar in flavor to brown sugar. It's sold in “pods” or as a paste in Asian markets or at importfood.com.
- Green papaya is underripe papaya that is green and firm. Look for it in Asian markets. If you can't find one, a ripe papaya will still taste delicious in this salad.
Per serving: 59 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 403 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation