Green Papaya Salad
This Thai-inspired salad makes use of the papayas that grow throughout Hawaii. This version is tossed with tender, sweet pea shoots. Make an extra batch of the vinaigrette to keep on hand in the refrigerator—use it as a marinade for vegetables, a flavorful dressing for fresh melon or as a sauce to splash over grilled fish or chicken.
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped palm sugar, or packed brown sugar (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Hawaiian chiles, or any fresh hot chiles, minced, to taste
- 3 cups matchstick-cut or julienned green papaya, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced Maui or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup pea shoots, cut into 3-inch pieces, or bean sprouts
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Whisk lime zest, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and chiles in a large bowl.
- Add papaya, onion and pea shoots (or sprouts) to the vinaigrette; toss to combine. Sprinkle with pepper just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The vinaigrette (Step 1) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Tips: Palm sugar is an unrefined sweetener similar in flavor to brown sugar. It's sold in “pods” or as a paste in Asian markets or at importfood.com.
- Green papaya is underripe papaya that is green and firm. Look for it in Asian markets. If you can't find one, a ripe papaya will still taste delicious in this salad.
Per serving: 59 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 403 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique