Green Papaya Salad
This Thai-inspired salad makes use of the papayas that grow throughout Hawaii. This version is tossed with tender, sweet pea shoots. Make an extra batch of the vinaigrette to keep on hand in the refrigerator—use it as a marinade for vegetables, a flavorful dressing for fresh melon or as a sauce to splash over grilled fish or chicken.
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped palm sugar, or packed brown sugar (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- Hawaiian chiles, or any fresh hot chiles, minced, to taste
- 3 cups matchstick-cut or julienned green papaya, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced Maui or other sweet onion
- 1/2 cup pea shoots, cut into 3-inch pieces, or bean sprouts
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Whisk lime zest, lime juice, sugar, fish sauce and chiles in a large bowl.
- Add papaya, onion and pea shoots (or sprouts) to the vinaigrette; toss to combine. Sprinkle with pepper just before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The vinaigrette (Step 1) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Tips: Palm sugar is an unrefined sweetener similar in flavor to brown sugar. It's sold in “pods” or as a paste in Asian markets or at importfood.com.
- Green papaya is underripe papaya that is green and firm. Look for it in Asian markets. If you can't find one, a ripe papaya will still taste delicious in this salad.
Per serving: 59 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 403 mg sodium; 58 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique