Green Olive & Almond Spread
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
Serve this simple but unique spread with zucchini or cucumber rounds or fire-toasted thin baguette slices.
- 1/2 cup pitted briny green olives
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds, or other almonds, toasted (see Ingredient Note and Kitchen Tip)
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine olives, almonds, tarragon and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped. Add oil in a steady stream and process just until the oil is absorbed. (Alternatively, finely chop the olives, almonds and tarragon by hand and combine with lemon juice and oil in a medium bowl.) The spread should have a coarse but easily spoonable texture. Let stand for about 30 minutes for the flavor to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Ingredient note: Spanish Marcona almonds have recently become more popular and more available. They're a little flatter than ordinary almonds, with a richer flavor. Always skinned, most Marcona almonds have already been sautÃ©ed in oil and lightly salted when you get them.
- Kitchen Tip: To toast almonds, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 71 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2007