Green Olive & Almond Spread
From EatingWell: July/August 2007
Serve this simple but unique spread with zucchini or cucumber rounds or fire-toasted thin baguette slices.
- 1/2 cup pitted briny green olives
- 1/4 cup Marcona almonds, or other almonds, toasted (see Ingredient Note and Kitchen Tip)
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Combine olives, almonds, tarragon and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until roughly chopped. Add oil in a steady stream and process just until the oil is absorbed. (Alternatively, finely chop the olives, almonds and tarragon by hand and combine with lemon juice and oil in a medium bowl.) The spread should have a coarse but easily spoonable texture. Let stand for about 30 minutes for the flavor to develop.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Ingredient note: Spanish Marcona almonds have recently become more popular and more available. They're a little flatter than ordinary almonds, with a richer flavor. Always skinned, most Marcona almonds have already been sautÃ©ed in oil and lightly salted when you get them.
- Kitchen Tip: To toast almonds, spread on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes.
Per serving: 71 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 147 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2007