Green Goddess Salad with Chicken
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this cucumber, tomato, Swiss and chicken salad recipe, a healthy green goddess dressing is made from avocado, buttermilk and herbs. Any extra dressing is delicious served over grilled chicken or flaky white fish, such as cod or flounder.
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped herbs (such as tarragon, sorrel, mint, parsley and/or cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 3 ounces sliced (or diced) cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup diced low-fat Swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved if desired
- To prepare dressing: Place avocado, buttermilk, herbs, vinegar and salt in a blender and puree until smooth. (Makes about 1 3/4 cups dressing.)
- To prepare salad: Toss lettuce and cucumber in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Top with chicken, cheese and tomatoes. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 3 days.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 3 days.
- Tip: If you don’t have cooked chicken, you can poach it to use in a recipe. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size. (Eight ounces raw boneless, skinless chicken breast yields about 1 cup sliced, diced or shredded cooked chicken.)
Per serving: 293 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 83 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 43 g protein; 6 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 1045 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (64% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Vitamin B12 (20% dv), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 2014