Green Goddess Salad with Chicken
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this cucumber, tomato, Swiss and chicken salad recipe, a healthy green goddess dressing is made from avocado, buttermilk and herbs. Any extra dressing is delicious served over grilled chicken or flaky white fish, such as cod or flounder.
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped herbs (such as tarragon, sorrel, mint, parsley and/or cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 3 ounces sliced (or diced) cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup diced low-fat Swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved if desired
- To prepare dressing: Place avocado, buttermilk, herbs, vinegar and salt in a blender and puree until smooth. (Makes about 1 3/4 cups dressing.)
- To prepare salad: Toss lettuce and cucumber in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Top with chicken, cheese and tomatoes. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 3 days.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 3 days.
- Tip: If you don’t have cooked chicken, you can poach it to use in a recipe. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size. (Eight ounces raw boneless, skinless chicken breast yields about 1 cup sliced, diced or shredded cooked chicken.)
Per serving: 293 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 83 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 43 g protein; 6 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 1045 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (64% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Vitamin B12 (20% dv), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014