Green Goddess Salad with Chicken
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this cucumber, tomato, Swiss and chicken salad recipe, a healthy green goddess dressing is made from avocado, buttermilk and herbs. Any extra dressing is delicious served over grilled chicken or flaky white fish, such as cod or flounder.
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped herbs (such as tarragon, sorrel, mint, parsley and/or cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 3 ounces sliced (or diced) cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup diced low-fat Swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved if desired
- To prepare dressing: Place avocado, buttermilk, herbs, vinegar and salt in a blender and puree until smooth. (Makes about 1 3/4 cups dressing.)
- To prepare salad: Toss lettuce and cucumber in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Top with chicken, cheese and tomatoes. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 3 days.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 3 days.
- Tip: If you don’t have cooked chicken, you can poach it to use in a recipe. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size. (Eight ounces raw boneless, skinless chicken breast yields about 1 cup sliced, diced or shredded cooked chicken.)
Per serving: 293 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 83 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 43 g protein; 6 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 1045 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (64% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Vitamin B12 (20% dv), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2014