Green Goddess Salad with Chicken
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
In this cucumber, tomato, Swiss and chicken salad recipe, a healthy green goddess dressing is made from avocado, buttermilk and herbs. Any extra dressing is delicious served over grilled chicken or flaky white fish, such as cod or flounder.
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped herbs (such as tarragon, sorrel, mint, parsley and/or cilantro)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup sliced cucumber
- 3 ounces sliced (or diced) cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup diced low-fat Swiss cheese (2 ounces)
- 6 cherry tomatoes, halved if desired
- To prepare dressing: Place avocado, buttermilk, herbs, vinegar and salt in a blender and puree until smooth. (Makes about 1 3/4 cups dressing.)
- To prepare salad: Toss lettuce and cucumber in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Top with chicken, cheese and tomatoes. (Refrigerate the extra dressing for up to 3 days.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate leftover dressing for up to 3 days.
- Tip: If you don’t have cooked chicken, you can poach it to use in a recipe. Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes, depending on size. (Eight ounces raw boneless, skinless chicken breast yields about 1 cup sliced, diced or shredded cooked chicken.)
Per serving: 293 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 83 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 43 g protein; 6 g fiber; 275 mg sodium; 1045 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (64% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Potassium (30% dv), Zinc (25% dv), Magnesium (25% dv), Vitamin B12 (20% dv), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- January/February 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)