From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Forget the tomatoes—this green gazpacho is full of cucumber, green bell pepper, green grapes and lots of fresh herbs.
- 4 slices firm-textured white bread, crusts removed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces seedless green grapes, cut in half (1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into cubes for garnish
- Cover bread with water in a small bowl, and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove bread and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Combine the moistened bread, garlic, parsley and cilantro in a food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Set aside about one-third of the scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes. Add the remaining scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes to the food processor, along with celery, cumin, coriander, cayenne, lemon juice and vinegar; process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in yogurt, broth and the reserved scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Garnish each portion with avocado cubes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Garnish with avocado just before serving.
Per serving: 81 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (51% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Father's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1993