From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Forget the tomatoes—this green gazpacho is full of cucumber, green bell pepper, green grapes and lots of fresh herbs.
- 4 slices firm-textured white bread, crusts removed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces seedless green grapes, cut in half (1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into cubes for garnish
- Cover bread with water in a small bowl, and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove bread and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Combine the moistened bread, garlic, parsley and cilantro in a food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Set aside about one-third of the scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes. Add the remaining scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes to the food processor, along with celery, cumin, coriander, cayenne, lemon juice and vinegar; process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in yogurt, broth and the reserved scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Garnish each portion with avocado cubes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Garnish with avocado just before serving.
Per serving: 81 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (51% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Father's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1993