From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Forget the tomatoes—this green gazpacho is full of cucumber, green bell pepper, green grapes and lots of fresh herbs.
- 4 slices firm-textured white bread, crusts removed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces seedless green grapes, cut in half (1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into cubes for garnish
- Cover bread with water in a small bowl, and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove bread and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Combine the moistened bread, garlic, parsley and cilantro in a food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Set aside about one-third of the scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes. Add the remaining scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes to the food processor, along with celery, cumin, coriander, cayenne, lemon juice and vinegar; process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in yogurt, broth and the reserved scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Garnish each portion with avocado cubes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Garnish with avocado just before serving.
Per serving: 81 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (51% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Father's Day
- July/August 1993