From EatingWell: July/August 1993
Forget the tomatoes—this green gazpacho is full of cucumber, green bell pepper, green grapes and lots of fresh herbs.
- 4 slices firm-textured white bread, crusts removed
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped scallions, (4 scallions)
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 8 ounces seedless green grapes, cut in half (1 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 ripe avocado, peeled and cut into cubes for garnish
- Cover bread with water in a small bowl, and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove bread and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Combine the moistened bread, garlic, parsley and cilantro in a food processor or blender; puree until smooth. Set aside about one-third of the scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes. Add the remaining scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes to the food processor, along with celery, cumin, coriander, cayenne, lemon juice and vinegar; process until smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and stir in yogurt, broth and the reserved scallions, cucumber, bell pepper and grapes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Garnish each portion with avocado cubes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Garnish with avocado just before serving.
Per serving: 81 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 154 mg sodium; 230 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (51% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Father's Day
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- July/August 1993
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)