Green Curry Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
This aromatic green curry soup is packed with spinach, mushrooms, green beans and broccoli stems (save the florets for another night). Green curry paste gives this soup a delicately spicy broth. The vegetables are cooked just enough to be tender, but retain their freshness and distinct textures. Recipe by Anna Thomas for EatingWell.
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste (see Notes)
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth, store-bought or homemade
- 8 cups gently packed spinach (about 6 ounces), any tough stems trimmed, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups oyster or shiitake mushrooms (about 4 ounces), trimmed
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups 1-inch pieces trimmed green beans
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled broccoli stems
- 5 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass (see Notes)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- Quarter onions lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in green curry paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in 4 cups broth; bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop 4 cups spinach. Combine the remaining 4 cups spinach with water in a blender; puree until the spinach is chopped to confetti. Cut mushrooms into 1/4-inch strips.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the liquid cooks away and the mushrooms begin to color, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir the mushroom mixture and green beans into the pot; return to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in broccoli stems, scallions and lemongrass; return to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes more. Stir in the chopped and pureed spinach, cilantro and a big pinch of serrano. Return to a simmer, cover and cook just long enough to wilt the spinach, about 1 minute. Add up to 1 cup additional broth if a thinner consistency is desired. Add lemon juice; taste and add more salt, serrano and/or lemon juice, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Look for prepared green curry paste—a fiery mixture of green chiles and Thai seasonings—in the Asian section of large supermarkets. The heat and salt level can vary widely depending on brand. Be sure to taste as you go; if you like your curry very spicy, you can turn up the heat by using a little more fresh serrano chile.
- Look for lemongrass—a woody, scallion-shaped herb with an aromatic lemon flavor—in the produce department of well-stocked supermarkets. To use, trim off the root end and grassy top. Peel off the woody outer leaves. Thinly slice the softer inner stalk, then finely chop.
Per serving: 127 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 622 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (73% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2011