Green Curry Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
This aromatic green curry soup is packed with spinach, mushrooms, green beans and broccoli stems (save the florets for another night). Green curry paste gives this soup a delicately spicy broth. The vegetables are cooked just enough to be tender, but retain their freshness and distinct textures. Recipe by Anna Thomas for EatingWell.
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste (see Notes)
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth, store-bought or homemade
- 8 cups gently packed spinach (about 6 ounces), any tough stems trimmed, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups oyster or shiitake mushrooms (about 4 ounces), trimmed
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups 1-inch pieces trimmed green beans
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled broccoli stems
- 5 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass (see Notes)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- Quarter onions lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in green curry paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in 4 cups broth; bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop 4 cups spinach. Combine the remaining 4 cups spinach with water in a blender; puree until the spinach is chopped to confetti. Cut mushrooms into 1/4-inch strips.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the liquid cooks away and the mushrooms begin to color, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir the mushroom mixture and green beans into the pot; return to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in broccoli stems, scallions and lemongrass; return to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes more. Stir in the chopped and pureed spinach, cilantro and a big pinch of serrano. Return to a simmer, cover and cook just long enough to wilt the spinach, about 1 minute. Add up to 1 cup additional broth if a thinner consistency is desired. Add lemon juice; taste and add more salt, serrano and/or lemon juice, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Look for prepared green curry paste—a fiery mixture of green chiles and Thai seasonings—in the Asian section of large supermarkets. The heat and salt level can vary widely depending on brand. Be sure to taste as you go; if you like your curry very spicy, you can turn up the heat by using a little more fresh serrano chile.
- Look for lemongrass—a woody, scallion-shaped herb with an aromatic lemon flavor—in the produce department of well-stocked supermarkets. To use, trim off the root end and grassy top. Peel off the woody outer leaves. Thinly slice the softer inner stalk, then finely chop.
Per serving: 127 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 622 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (73% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2011