Green Curry Soup
From EatingWell: September/October 2011
This aromatic green curry soup is packed with spinach, mushrooms, green beans and broccoli stems (save the florets for another night). Green curry paste gives this soup a delicately spicy broth. The vegetables are cooked just enough to be tender, but retain their freshness and distinct textures. Recipe by Anna Thomas for EatingWell.
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste (see Notes)
- 4-5 cups vegetable broth, store-bought or homemade
- 8 cups gently packed spinach (about 6 ounces), any tough stems trimmed, divided
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups oyster or shiitake mushrooms (about 4 ounces), trimmed
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups 1-inch pieces trimmed green beans
- 1 cup thinly sliced peeled broccoli stems
- 5 scallions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped lemongrass (see Notes)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 serrano chile, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- Quarter onions lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onions and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in green curry paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in 4 cups broth; bring to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop 4 cups spinach. Combine the remaining 4 cups spinach with water in a blender; puree until the spinach is chopped to confetti. Cut mushrooms into 1/4-inch strips.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the liquid cooks away and the mushrooms begin to color, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Stir the mushroom mixture and green beans into the pot; return to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in broccoli stems, scallions and lemongrass; return to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes more. Stir in the chopped and pureed spinach, cilantro and a big pinch of serrano. Return to a simmer, cover and cook just long enough to wilt the spinach, about 1 minute. Add up to 1 cup additional broth if a thinner consistency is desired. Add lemon juice; taste and add more salt, serrano and/or lemon juice, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Notes: Look for prepared green curry paste—a fiery mixture of green chiles and Thai seasonings—in the Asian section of large supermarkets. The heat and salt level can vary widely depending on brand. Be sure to taste as you go; if you like your curry very spicy, you can turn up the heat by using a little more fresh serrano chile.
- Look for lemongrass—a woody, scallion-shaped herb with an aromatic lemon flavor—in the produce department of well-stocked supermarkets. To use, trim off the root end and grassy top. Peel off the woody outer leaves. Thinly slice the softer inner stalk, then finely chop.
Per serving: 127 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 622 mg sodium; 375 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (73% daily value), Vitamin C (35% dv), Folate (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2011