Green Chile Sauce
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Roasted New Mexican green chiles makes a great sauce for enchiladas or burritos.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped roasted mild-to-medium New Mexican green chiles, preferably fresh
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add chiles and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until thickened but still easily spoonable, 15 to 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 27 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 143 mg sodium; 136 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- September/October 2010