Green Chile Sauce
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Roasted New Mexican green chiles makes a great sauce for enchiladas or burritos.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped roasted mild-to-medium New Mexican green chiles, preferably fresh
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add chiles and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until thickened but still easily spoonable, 15 to 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 27 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 143 mg sodium; 136 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- September/October 2010