Green Chile Sauce
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Roasted New Mexican green chiles makes a great sauce for enchiladas or burritos.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped roasted mild-to-medium New Mexican green chiles, preferably fresh
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add chiles and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until thickened but still easily spoonable, 15 to 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 27 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 143 mg sodium; 136 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- September/October 2010