Green Chile Sauce
From EatingWell: September/October 2010
Roasted New Mexican green chiles makes a great sauce for enchiladas or burritos.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chopped roasted mild-to-medium New Mexican green chiles, preferably fresh
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add chiles and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until thickened but still easily spoonable, 15 to 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Per 1/2-cup serving: 27 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 143 mg sodium; 136 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: free food
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Cinco de Mayo
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- September/October 2010