Green Beans with Poppy Seed Dressing
These warm, fresh-tasting beans offer an exciting alternative to old standby mushroom-soup-based green-bean casseroles. Toasting the poppy seeds brings out their nutty flavor.
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar, or rice-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound green beans, stem ends trimmed
- To prepare dressing: Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add poppy seeds and toast, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl (or jar) and let cool. Add oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, shallot, salt and pepper; whisk (or shake) until blended.
- To prepare beans: Cook beans in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain. Warm the dressing in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 113 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 104 mg sodium; 185 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Fiber (15% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less