Green Beans with Poppy Seed Dressing
These warm, fresh-tasting beans offer an exciting alternative to old standby mushroom-soup-based green-bean casseroles. Toasting the poppy seeds brings out their nutty flavor.
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar, or rice-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound green beans, stem ends trimmed
- To prepare dressing: Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add poppy seeds and toast, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl (or jar) and let cool. Add oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, shallot, salt and pepper; whisk (or shake) until blended.
- To prepare beans: Cook beans in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain. Warm the dressing in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 113 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 104 mg sodium; 185 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Fiber (15% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)