Green Beans with Poppy Seed Dressing
These warm, fresh-tasting beans offer an exciting alternative to old standby mushroom-soup-based green-bean casseroles. Toasting the poppy seeds brings out their nutty flavor.
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar, or rice-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound green beans, stem ends trimmed
- To prepare dressing: Heat a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Add poppy seeds and toast, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl (or jar) and let cool. Add oil, vinegar, mustard, honey, shallot, salt and pepper; whisk (or shake) until blended.
- To prepare beans: Cook beans in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain. Warm the dressing in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (step 1) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 113 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 104 mg sodium; 185 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (20% daily value), Fiber (15% dv), Vitamin A (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less