Green Beans with Creamy Garlic Dressing
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
Inspired by a Lebanese pasta dish, we toss steamed green beans with garlicky yogurt for an easy side dish. Try it with roast lamb.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small clove garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place a medium bowl of ice water near the stove. Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add green beans, cover and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the beans to the ice water to cool. Remove from the ice water with a slotted spoon and let drain on a kitchen towel; blot dry with another towel.
- If using fresh garlic, mash with salt using the back of a spoon until a paste forms. Whisk the garlic paste (or garlic powder and salt) with yogurt, oil, parsley (if using) and pepper in a large bowl. Add the green beans and toss to coat. Serve cold.
Per serving: 84 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 165 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2009