Green Beans with Creamy Garlic Dressing
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
Inspired by a Lebanese pasta dish, we toss steamed green beans with garlicky yogurt for an easy side dish. Try it with roast lamb.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small clove garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place a medium bowl of ice water near the stove. Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add green beans, cover and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the beans to the ice water to cool. Remove from the ice water with a slotted spoon and let drain on a kitchen towel; blot dry with another towel.
- If using fresh garlic, mash with salt using the back of a spoon until a paste forms. Whisk the garlic paste (or garlic powder and salt) with yogurt, oil, parsley (if using) and pepper in a large bowl. Add the green beans and toss to coat. Serve cold.
Per serving: 84 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 165 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Middle Eastern
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2009