Green Beans with Creamy Garlic Dressing
From EatingWell: May/June 2009
Inspired by a Lebanese pasta dish, we toss steamed green beans with garlicky yogurt for an easy side dish. Try it with roast lamb.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- 1 small clove garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, (optional)
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place a medium bowl of ice water near the stove. Bring an inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add green beans, cover and cook until tender, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the beans to the ice water to cool. Remove from the ice water with a slotted spoon and let drain on a kitchen towel; blot dry with another towel.
- If using fresh garlic, mash with salt using the back of a spoon until a paste forms. Whisk the garlic paste (or garlic powder and salt) with yogurt, oil, parsley (if using) and pepper in a large bowl. Add the green beans and toss to coat. Serve cold.
Per serving: 84 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g protein; 4 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 165 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Middle Eastern
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2009