Green Beans with Caramelized Red Onions
For an attractive presentation, trim the stem ends of the beans, leaving the pointed ends intact. Most fresh beans today do not require stringing, as the fibrous string has been bred out of them.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium red onions, (about 1 3/4 pounds), cut into 16 wedges each
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook, uncovered, until crisp-tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain.
- Add broth to the onions; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Add the beans, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through step 2. Cover and refrigerate onions for up to 2 days. Refresh beans under cold running water; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Commercial vegetable broth is readily available in natural-foods stores and many supermarkets. We especially like the Imagine and Pacific brands, sold in convenient aseptic packages that allow you to use small amounts and keep the rest refrigerated.
Per serving: 82 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 265 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation