Green Beans with Caramelized Red Onions
For an attractive presentation, trim the stem ends of the beans, leaving the pointed ends intact. Most fresh beans today do not require stringing, as the fibrous string has been bred out of them.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 medium red onions, (about 1 3/4 pounds), cut into 16 wedges each
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add green beans and cook, uncovered, until crisp-tender, 6 to 7 minutes. Drain.
- Add broth to the onions; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Add the beans, cover and cook for 2 minutes. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through step 2. Cover and refrigerate onions for up to 2 days. Refresh beans under cold running water; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Commercial vegetable broth is readily available in natural-foods stores and many supermarkets. We especially like the Imagine and Pacific brands, sold in convenient aseptic packages that allow you to use small amounts and keep the rest refrigerated.
Per serving: 82 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 109 mg sodium; 265 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (25% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Preparation/ Technique