Green Beans Indian-Style
From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Spiced with fragrant mustard seeds, coriander and ginger, these Indian-style green beans are a delicious accompaniment to roast lamb. Cauliflower may also be cooked this way.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed, cut diagonally into 1” pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and sauté for 30 seconds, or until they start to pop. Stir in beans, carrots and onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Stir in salt, coriander and ginger. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the beans are tender-crisp. Stir in lemon juice and serve.
Per serving: 76 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 610 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)