Green Beans Indian-Style
From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Spiced with fragrant mustard seeds, coriander and ginger, these Indian-style green beans are a delicious accompaniment to roast lamb. Cauliflower may also be cooked this way.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed, cut diagonally into 1” pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and sauté for 30 seconds, or until they start to pop. Stir in beans, carrots and onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Stir in salt, coriander and ginger. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the beans are tender-crisp. Stir in lemon juice and serve.
Per serving: 76 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 610 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)