Green Beans Indian-Style
From EatingWell: EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)
Spiced with fragrant mustard seeds, coriander and ginger, these Indian-style green beans are a delicious accompaniment to roast lamb. Cauliflower may also be cooked this way.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed, cut diagonally into 1” pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and sauté for 30 seconds, or until they start to pop. Stir in beans, carrots and onions and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Stir in salt, coriander and ginger. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring often, for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the beans are tender-crisp. Stir in lemon juice and serve.
Per serving: 76 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 5 g fiber; 610 mg sodium; 376 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (120% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell for a Healthy Heart Cookbook (2008)