Green Bean & Tommy-Toe Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
At first glance, you may think that vinegar or lemon juice has been inadvertently omitted from the ingredient list of this green bean and tomato salad recipe. Not so. The juice of tiny ripe cherry tomatoes, called “tommy toes” in parts of the mountain South, is acidic enough that you don’t need vinegar or lemon juice, and also contributes subtle sweetness—the perfect counterpoint to fresh beans.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, cut in half
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 small sweet white onion, diced (1/2 inch)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place oil and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put green beans in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the beans are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the beans and transfer to a serving bowl. Discard the garlic and add the garlic-infused oil to the beans. Add onion and salt; gently toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to the beans and gently stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Per serving:: 132 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013