Green Bean & Tommy-Toe Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
At first glance, you may think that vinegar or lemon juice has been inadvertently omitted from the ingredient list of this green bean and tomato salad recipe. Not so. The juice of tiny ripe cherry tomatoes, called “tommy toes” in parts of the mountain South, is acidic enough that you don’t need vinegar or lemon juice, and also contributes subtle sweetness—the perfect counterpoint to fresh beans.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, cut in half
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 small sweet white onion, diced (1/2 inch)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place oil and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put green beans in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the beans are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the beans and transfer to a serving bowl. Discard the garlic and add the garlic-infused oil to the beans. Add onion and salt; gently toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to the beans and gently stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Per serving:: 132 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 2013