Green Bean & Tommy-Toe Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
At first glance, you may think that vinegar or lemon juice has been inadvertently omitted from the ingredient list of this green bean and tomato salad recipe. Not so. The juice of tiny ripe cherry tomatoes, called “tommy toes” in parts of the mountain South, is acidic enough that you don’t need vinegar or lemon juice, and also contributes subtle sweetness—the perfect counterpoint to fresh beans.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, cut in half
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 small sweet white onion, diced (1/2 inch)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place oil and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put green beans in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the beans are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the beans and transfer to a serving bowl. Discard the garlic and add the garlic-infused oil to the beans. Add onion and salt; gently toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to the beans and gently stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Per serving:: 132 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 2013