Green Bean & Tommy-Toe Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
At first glance, you may think that vinegar or lemon juice has been inadvertently omitted from the ingredient list of this green bean and tomato salad recipe. Not so. The juice of tiny ripe cherry tomatoes, called “tommy toes” in parts of the mountain South, is acidic enough that you don’t need vinegar or lemon juice, and also contributes subtle sweetness—the perfect counterpoint to fresh beans.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, cut in half
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 small sweet white onion, diced (1/2 inch)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place oil and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put green beans in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the beans are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the beans and transfer to a serving bowl. Discard the garlic and add the garlic-infused oil to the beans. Add onion and salt; gently toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to the beans and gently stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Per serving:: 132 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 2013