Green Bean & Tommy-Toe Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
At first glance, you may think that vinegar or lemon juice has been inadvertently omitted from the ingredient list of this green bean and tomato salad recipe. Not so. The juice of tiny ripe cherry tomatoes, called “tommy toes” in parts of the mountain South, is acidic enough that you don’t need vinegar or lemon juice, and also contributes subtle sweetness—the perfect counterpoint to fresh beans.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, cut in half
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 small sweet white onion, diced (1/2 inch)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- Place oil and garlic in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Put green beans in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook until the beans are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain the beans and transfer to a serving bowl. Discard the garlic and add the garlic-infused oil to the beans. Add onion and salt; gently toss to coat. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes to the beans and gently stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Per serving:: 132 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 295 mg sodium; 274 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (27% daily value), Vitamin A (20% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 2013