I am prett picky, and I really like this dish, I was surprised to see the negative comments. I spiced up the onion topping with more of the spices, and little more oil to compensate. The whole family has enjoyed this for 2-3 years now...and WAY fresher tasting than the cream-of-mushroom variety!
Green Bean Casserole
From EatingWell: November/December 2008
This healthy revision of green bean casserole skips the canned soup and all the fat and sodium that come with it. Our white sauce with sliced fresh mushrooms, sweet onions and low-fat milk makes a creamy, rich casserole.
28 Reviews for Green Bean Casserole
If you use the low-fat, low sodium Campbell's soup, and use non-fat milk like I do, that alone saves you a TON of calories and fat, not to mention the beauty of the time and convenience of the standard recipe. You're not eating this every night, the only bad part would be the french fried onions, and they're just a garnish. I say go for the original, this version is way too time-consuming, not to mention it's not as good tasting. Try the original with my suggestions....you won't be sorry!!
For the time it took, the payoff wasn't worth it. All I could taste was sherry and the onions got soggy real quick. Not a recipe I'm planning on repeating.
This recipe did take a lot of time, but I thought the results were delicious! I enjoy making things from scratch, so this was right up my alley. A big hit last Thanksgiving!
I like thyme but there was too much of it in this dish. The chopped mushrooms , cooked up until the juices evaporated , gave an unappetizing dark brown color to the sauce .. And yes , it took a lot of time to make .I won't make it again .
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)