Green Bean Bundles with Garlic Browned Butter
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This green bean recipe is impressive-looking but simple to make. The bundles make a wonderful addition to a holiday table or a fun presentation to liven up any dinner party menu.
- 1 pound thin green beans or haricot verts, trimmed
- 24 long, thin slices red bell pepper
- 8 long, thin scallions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam green beans and bell pepper until tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Trim whites off scallions and place the 8 long greens on the vegetables in the steamer during the last minute of cooking to soften. Transfer the vegetables to a large plate.
- Divide the beans into 8 portions (10-14 beans each). To make a bundle, lay a scallion green on your work surface and place 1 portion of beans and 3 pieces bell pepper across it. Wrap the green around the vegetables and tie a knot to secure the bundle. Transfer to a serving platter. Repeat with the remaining vegetables.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; smash garlic flat, add to the pan and cook, swirling often, until the butter is nutty brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Discard the garlic. Stir in oil. Serve the bundles drizzled with the butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep assembled bundles warm in a 225°F oven for up to 15 minutes; brown the butter (Step 3) and hold until ready to serve. Reheat if necessary.
Per serving: 73 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 64 mg sodium; 170 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- November/December 2013