Green Bean Bundles with Garlic Browned Butter
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This green bean recipe is impressive-looking but simple to make. The bundles make a wonderful addition to a holiday table or a fun presentation to liven up any dinner party menu.
- 1 pound thin green beans or haricot verts, trimmed
- 24 long, thin slices red bell pepper
- 8 long, thin scallions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam green beans and bell pepper until tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Trim whites off scallions and place the 8 long greens on the vegetables in the steamer during the last minute of cooking to soften. Transfer the vegetables to a large plate.
- Divide the beans into 8 portions (10-14 beans each). To make a bundle, lay a scallion green on your work surface and place 1 portion of beans and 3 pieces bell pepper across it. Wrap the green around the vegetables and tie a knot to secure the bundle. Transfer to a serving platter. Repeat with the remaining vegetables.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; smash garlic flat, add to the pan and cook, swirling often, until the butter is nutty brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Discard the garlic. Stir in oil. Serve the bundles drizzled with the butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep assembled bundles warm in a 225°F oven for up to 15 minutes; brown the butter (Step 3) and hold until ready to serve. Reheat if necessary.
Per serving: 73 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 64 mg sodium; 170 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013