Green Bean Bundles with Garlic Browned Butter
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This green bean recipe is impressive-looking but simple to make. The bundles make a wonderful addition to a holiday table or a fun presentation to liven up any dinner party menu.
- 1 pound thin green beans or haricot verts, trimmed
- 24 long, thin slices red bell pepper
- 8 long, thin scallions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam green beans and bell pepper until tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Trim whites off scallions and place the 8 long greens on the vegetables in the steamer during the last minute of cooking to soften. Transfer the vegetables to a large plate.
- Divide the beans into 8 portions (10-14 beans each). To make a bundle, lay a scallion green on your work surface and place 1 portion of beans and 3 pieces bell pepper across it. Wrap the green around the vegetables and tie a knot to secure the bundle. Transfer to a serving platter. Repeat with the remaining vegetables.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; smash garlic flat, add to the pan and cook, swirling often, until the butter is nutty brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Discard the garlic. Stir in oil. Serve the bundles drizzled with the butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep assembled bundles warm in a 225°F oven for up to 15 minutes; brown the butter (Step 3) and hold until ready to serve. Reheat if necessary.
Per serving: 73 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 64 mg sodium; 170 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2013