Green Bean Bundles with Garlic Browned Butter
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This green bean recipe is impressive-looking but simple to make. The bundles make a wonderful addition to a holiday table or a fun presentation to liven up any dinner party menu.
- 1 pound thin green beans or haricot verts, trimmed
- 24 long, thin slices red bell pepper
- 8 long, thin scallions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt, such as Maldon
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large pan fitted with a steamer basket. Steam green beans and bell pepper until tender-crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Trim whites off scallions and place the 8 long greens on the vegetables in the steamer during the last minute of cooking to soften. Transfer the vegetables to a large plate.
- Divide the beans into 8 portions (10-14 beans each). To make a bundle, lay a scallion green on your work surface and place 1 portion of beans and 3 pieces bell pepper across it. Wrap the green around the vegetables and tie a knot to secure the bundle. Transfer to a serving platter. Repeat with the remaining vegetables.
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat; smash garlic flat, add to the pan and cook, swirling often, until the butter is nutty brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Discard the garlic. Stir in oil. Serve the bundles drizzled with the butter and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Keep assembled bundles warm in a 225°F oven for up to 15 minutes; brown the butter (Step 3) and hold until ready to serve. Reheat if necessary.
Per serving: 73 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 3 g fiber; 64 mg sodium; 170 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (58% daily value), Vitamin A (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 2013