Greek Split Pea Spread
One taste of this simple, rustic spread—a popular meze or appetizer throughout Greece—and you are transported to a little seaside taverna. The base of the spread is yellow split peas, a healthful legume that requires no presoaking and cooks in less than 45 minutes. Enjoy this appetizer as the Greeks do, with a generous drizzle of your favorite extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 cup yellow split peas, rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or parsley
- Combine split peas, garlic and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, skimming off any froth. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer, stirring often, until the mixture has cooked down to a thick puree, 10 to 20 minutes longer. Remove from heat and stir in salt. Press plastic wrap on the surface and let cool.
- Transfer the pea mixture to a food processor. Add lemon juice and 1 tablespoon oil; process until smooth. Season with pepper. Transfer to a bowl. To serve, drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over the spread and sprinkle with red onion and dill (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per serving: 87 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 18 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more