Greek Split Pea Spread
One taste of this simple, rustic spread—a popular meze or appetizer throughout Greece—and you are transported to a little seaside taverna. The base of the spread is yellow split peas, a healthful legume that requires no presoaking and cooks in less than 45 minutes. Enjoy this appetizer as the Greeks do, with a generous drizzle of your favorite extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 cup yellow split peas, rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or parsley
- Combine split peas, garlic and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, skimming off any froth. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer, stirring often, until the mixture has cooked down to a thick puree, 10 to 20 minutes longer. Remove from heat and stir in salt. Press plastic wrap on the surface and let cool.
- Transfer the pea mixture to a food processor. Add lemon juice and 1 tablespoon oil; process until smooth. Season with pepper. Transfer to a bowl. To serve, drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over the spread and sprinkle with red onion and dill (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per serving: 87 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 18 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more