Greek Split Pea Spread
One taste of this simple, rustic spread—a popular meze or appetizer throughout Greece—and you are transported to a little seaside taverna. The base of the spread is yellow split peas, a healthful legume that requires no presoaking and cooks in less than 45 minutes. Enjoy this appetizer as the Greeks do, with a generous drizzle of your favorite extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 cup yellow split peas, rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill, or parsley
- Combine split peas, garlic and water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil, skimming off any froth. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer, stirring often, until the mixture has cooked down to a thick puree, 10 to 20 minutes longer. Remove from heat and stir in salt. Press plastic wrap on the surface and let cool.
- Transfer the pea mixture to a food processor. Add lemon juice and 1 tablespoon oil; process until smooth. Season with pepper. Transfer to a bowl. To serve, drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over the spread and sprinkle with red onion and dill (or parsley).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per serving: 87 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 5 g fiber; 243 mg sodium; 18 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)