Greek Salad with Tofu
Tofu boosts the protein in this Greek salad, making it substantial enough for a whole meal. But this dish would also be a perfect addition to a mezze, a Middle Eastern meal of “small dishes”; serve it with warmed, whole-wheat pitas, store-bought hummus, stuffed grape leaves, tzatziki (cucumber sauce) and your favorite olives.
- 3 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion, or scallion
- 6 Kalamata olives, (see Tip), pitted and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup drained and crumbled firm tofu
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 small tomato, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 small cucumber, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Combine feta, onion (or scallion), olives, lemon juice, oil and oregano in a medium bowl. Add tofu and mash with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Add tomato, cucumber and parsley to the tofu mixture and stir to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Small amounts of olives can be purchased from bulk bins and salad bars.
Per serving: 164 calories; 12 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 499 mg sodium; 296 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Calcium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique