Greek Revival Salad
This attractive, full-bodied dish celebrates the Greek flavors of feta, black olives and plenty of oregano.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium head romaine, trimmed, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces (6 cups)
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, sliced and quartered, or 2 larger tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 black olives, such as Kalamata, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, (1 ounce)
- Chop garlic coarsely. Sprinkle with salt and mash with the side of the knife blade. Place the garlic mixture in a small bowl; whisk in tomato juice, lemon juice, oil, oregano and pepper.
- Toss lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and red onion with the dressing. Scatter olives and feta cheese over the top and serve.
Per serving: 110 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 541 mg sodium; 497 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (112% daily value), Vitamin C (63% dv), Folate (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique