Greek Revival Salad
This attractive, full-bodied dish celebrates the Greek flavors of feta, black olives and plenty of oregano.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium head romaine, trimmed, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces (6 cups)
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, sliced and quartered, or 2 larger tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 black olives, such as Kalamata, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, (1 ounce)
- Chop garlic coarsely. Sprinkle with salt and mash with the side of the knife blade. Place the garlic mixture in a small bowl; whisk in tomato juice, lemon juice, oil, oregano and pepper.
- Toss lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and red onion with the dressing. Scatter olives and feta cheese over the top and serve.
Per serving: 110 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 541 mg sodium; 497 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (112% daily value), Vitamin C (63% dv), Folate (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique