Greek Revival Salad
This attractive, full-bodied dish celebrates the Greek flavors of feta, black olives and plenty of oregano.
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium head romaine, trimmed, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces (6 cups)
- 1 cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 12 cherry tomatoes, sliced and quartered, or 2 larger tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 black olives, such as Kalamata, pitted and sliced
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, (1 ounce)
- Chop garlic coarsely. Sprinkle with salt and mash with the side of the knife blade. Place the garlic mixture in a small bowl; whisk in tomato juice, lemon juice, oil, oregano and pepper.
- Toss lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes and red onion with the dressing. Scatter olives and feta cheese over the top and serve.
Per serving: 110 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 541 mg sodium; 497 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (112% daily value), Vitamin C (63% dv), Folate (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less