Greek Potato & Feta Omelet
Potatoes have a special affinity with eggs. If you keep frozen hash browns on hand (check the label and choose hash browns with less than 1 gram of fat per serving), you can whip up a simple, satisfying omelet like this one at a moment's notice. To cut back on saturated fat, use 2 whole eggs and 2 egg whites.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup frozen hash brown potatoes, or cooked potatoes cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 4 large eggs
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add potatoes and cook, shaking the pan and tossing the potatoes, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add scallions and cook for 1 minute longer. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out the pan.
- Blend eggs, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir in feta and the potato mixture.
- Preheat broiler. Brush the pan with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil; heat over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and tilt to distribute evenly. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the bottom is light golden, lifting the the edges to allow uncooked egg to flow underneath, 3 to 4 minutes. Place the pan under the broiler and cook until the top is set, 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Slide the omelet onto a plate and cut into wedges.
Per serving: 294 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 380 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 3 g fiber; 433 mg sodium; 442 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value), Vitamin C (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch; 2 medium-fat meat; 1 1/2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Valentine's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique